February 2nd was Groundhog Day, one of the lesser known and celebrated holidays. But the following it does have is a dedicated and passionate one. As the legend goes, when a groundhog (aka woodchuck) emerges from its burrow, if it sees its shadow there will be six more weeks of winter, but if it does not see its shadow, spring will come early.
Now you may be asking, “What does Groundhog Day have to do with REIA Resources and email marketing?” Nothing. Nothing at all, actually. But now that I’ve given you some tidbits about this holiday, read on to learn some factoids about email marketing and the strategies you haven’t heard of.
Email marketing has been around for ages, but unlike other marketing fads, this one is tried and true. Anyone remember the Ice Bucket Challenge, the Harlem Shake, or Grumpy Cat? They’re all fads. They had a great run, but aren’t relevant anymore. But email marketing is NOT a fad. It’s been around for years and will continue to stick around because it produces results.
If you’re stuck in an email marketing rut and need to revamp your strategy, here are some tips to grab your readers’ attention, and keep it.
- Avoid the “dead zone” of subject line length: 60-70 characters. Less is good for open rates, more is good for clicks.
- Send your emails at optimal times. Consider the median age and profession of your audience and cater to their schedules. Night time (8-11pm) is normally a good go-to.
- Mobile friendly emails. Enough said.
- Use subject lines to grab subscribers’ attention. Examples: “Don’t open this.” or “Did you know pandas spend about 12 hours a day eating 28 pounds of bamboo? And that they’re adorable?” An unrelated topic that flows into your “real” content keeps your readers engaged and ensures that they read to the end. *If you’re reading this then the method is obviously effective.*
- The best tip of all, don’t stress about email marketing, let REIA Resources do it for you.
Happy Groundhog Day!